I'm committed to laziness today. It's all grey and humid outside, not the kind of weather that would be conducive to my original plan of riding my bike to the grocery store... I have 35,955 miles on my car and it's only under warranty until 36,000, but the jerkwads at Ira can't look at it until Wednesday. So not only is my car a bastion of all that is evil in the world, it can't even take me to Stop & Shop to buy some frickin organic pears.
So since I can't drive, and in preparation for the long car-less days ahead (during which the aforementioned jerkwads stare blankly at my car and try to think of things they can fix that aren't covered by the warranty,) I practiced my mass transit skillz today. It took me four and a half hours to get from Canton to Lowell, but I only spent $1.25.
After a much needed water + Tylenol + large iced coffee + supreme omelet (oh GOD yes) breakfast to assuage my hangover, Amanda dropped me off at the commuter rail in Canton. I had to get the T from Back Bay to North Station, and was literally a minute late for the commuter rail to Lowell. So I walked around the area for an hour, watched some people, listened to some tunes, and tried not to consider myself too much of a martyr for not driving myself last night, despite the fact that if I had, I would have been home by 2am last night and wouldn't have had to waste the whole day today. But is a day spent supporting public transportation really a wasted day? I'm telling myself it's not. So when I arrived at the Gallagher, which is conveniently located NOT DOWNTOWN, I watched as the one bus I needed pulled away, not to return for an hour. The public transportation sitation in Lowell is absolutely ridiculous - think of all the people who have to completely RELY on that crap to get around! I weighed my options: walk home or walk to my car and drive home. Having planned to accomplish tons of work today, I broke down and called Kate for a ride to my car, defeating the whole purpose of trying not to be car-dependent...
When we got to my car, I showed Kate the battery acid all over my car's inner workings (or whatever all that stuff under the hood is called.) She was duly apalled, and even suggested that I green clean it off with one of the many gallons of distilled vinegar I keep in my backseat. But I'm not a chemist, so I just drove home and hoped for the best :)
So when I got home I was all, "I just need to ride my bike everywhere I need to go, starting with the store." But then I sat down on my bed and all my aspirations melted away into a pool of extreme laziness. I know I'll have to go to the store at some point, because I don't have any milk for my iced coffee, and that's a problem. I think if I had an iced coffee holder on my bike I'd be a lot more psyched to take it places; maybe I'll invent one in my spare time. But for now I'm just superglued to the couch, plotting and planning how to make people do what I want without coming off like some crazy zealot. On a less insidious level, I'm also plotting something delicious for dinner. Macaroni and cheese? A healthy salad? No, macaroni and cheese. Don't fret, cheese, you'll always be my true love.
Speaking of being a zealot, may I remind you all to go see the Al Gore movie? NOW? I saw it for the second time last night, and although I missed the first hour, I'm even more convinced that WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE if we don't do something soon. Can somebody lend me $35,000? I need a hybrid. I'll share it if you make the car payments - I'll even throw in gas money!
Saturday, June 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment