remember when Alanis Morissette's "Ironic" came out, and people would constantly bitch about her misuse of the word "ironic"? Like, "Oh my god, rain on your wedding day is NOT irony! It's like, bad luck or something! God!" Or, "A black fly in your chardonnay? Is that supposed to be irony because, like, the wine is white and the fly is black? If so, OH MY GOD - that's so DUMB! God!" Seriously, people used to get really worked up about it.
And that's why to this day I'm always a little nervous about using the word "ironic." I'm an admittedly huge grammar dork, but this seems to be such a sore spot with the general public that I usually opt for safer, more precise phrases like "unfortunate coincidence" or "seriously, God hates me."
Anyways, I'm going somewhere with this. The abbreviated back story is that I love my job but the pay sucks, they won't hire me full time, and I've been actively seeking a new job that involves such perks as "employer contribution to my health insurance," "not having to drag my laptop to work everyday," and "not being asked to MAKE COPIES at 4:30 on a Friday. Or at all, for that matter, because I'm basically three f-ing pages away from a master's degree." So I've hinted at this to my boss - an awesome awesome boss, and not the person who asked me to make copies, I might add. He's pretty sympathetic to my financial woes - a little less sympathetic to the fact that staying at my job is crushing my ego and will to live, but whatever. Anyways, the point is, although I've kind of told him I need to find a full-time job at some point, I don't think he really truly believes me...
UPDATE, 5/22/08:
The punchline of this story is: I was in Staples shopping for resume paper while simultaneously talking loudly on the phone to Amanda, my own personal HR specialist, about various job-searching-related things (like should I fold the resume and put it in a regular sized envelope, or leave it unfolded in a big envelope? I worry about these things.) Then my boss walked into the store and I had to pretend I was doing something else. Good story, right? Ironic, even?
At the time this was a big deal, but now my boss forwards me job postings. Things just get curiouser and curiouser.
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
that was not ironic, sorry. ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife is closer. love you, mean it.
Post a Comment