Thursday, June 28, 2007

micro-management

the other day I was talking to a certain human resources specialist I know, and she said that during job interviews the HR people will often ask "what type of manager do you work best with?" as someone who has never had a real job interview, that really piqued my interest. is there a "correct" answer, or are you really supposed to tell the truth?

roo roo made a good point - the "correct" answer would be to describe the management style of the potential new boss, but since the interviewee has no way of knowing the new boss' style, it's better to tell the truth. if the management is going to be so different from what you work well with, why would you want that job?

anyhow, what I found most interesting were the two categories of management she mentioned: hands-off or hands-on. I've never really had a boss as hands-off as the one I do now, and it's KILLING ME. I always thought I hated to be supervised and took it as my boss somehow doubting me. however, now I'm seeing that 'management' is a two-way street. when no one is around to watch me, when I don't have to check in and report my progress, I just don't do anything.

I got this job just a few weeks ago, and due to that whole cubicle incident I have been doing most of my 'working' outside the office. most days I hang out with Homero in Patty's office, talk about Mexican soap operas, and consider it work because we are speaking Spanish. then yesterday he had to go out in the field and collect samples, so I was left alone in the office. for the first time in weeks, I actually WORKED. it was crazy, I don't even know what came over me. but don't worry, it only lasted for about 20 minutes.

today I came to my actual office and assumed my position in the cubicle. it's actually not that bad - there is AC, unlike in Homero's office, and my desk is high enough that I can cross my legs under it, which is pretty much all I want out of life. but the atmosphere here is very different from anywhere I've ever worked before - it's SILENT. you could hear a pin drop in here. at first I thought maybe a lot of people were out today, but I took a walk around and saw that there are at least 25 people in the office, but no one talks to each other!

in the office where I worked last summer, it was nearly impossible to get anything done because everyone was constantly chatting - and not about work, not even a little. that place was a total zoo, there were always students coming and going, people having meetings in any spot they felt like it, visitors from out of town who had to be introduced to every single person who worked there, etc. in particular, my office roommate was addicted to the conversational arts. his entire job consisted of talking on the phone to people, networking and finding jobs for students, and any time he wasn't on the phone he was chatting with me... or having visitors, such as the Vietnam vet/talk radio personality/masseuse, who went by "David the Painkiller," and stopped by frequently to sing us his latest tragicomic social commentary song. he was the man.

but I digress. I'm trying to get to the whole micromanagement thing, but my ADD is off the charts lately. (ironic?) so I was messing around on myspace and my boss' secretary walked by... I felt a little twinge of "oh crap, I'm supposed to be working." so I did work, for nearly an HOUR. it was awesome. and it made me realize that the very thought of a boss-type being around is enough to make me work. this whole "I have a boss, in the abstract sense, but he doesn't give a shit what I do or where I am, and also he's abroad for a month" really isn't what I need to be productive. I honestly do need someone looking over my shoulder. not necessarily like "telling me do do stuff" or anything like that, oh no. but existing, yes, and being present, yes.

i got sick of that after a while and returned to Homero's office where I can blog and otherwise procrastinate in peace. my conclusions: I enjoy being in an office where I talk to people all day, but I don't get anything done. I can only work, however, under circumstances of complete silence and oppressive micromanagement. so, I have no choice but to admit what has been obvious to everyone else for a long time: I'm not cut out for "work." It's true, a "job," no matter how you slice it, is simply not the best use of my time.

if you'll excuse me, I have to go have some drinks downtown with my RESD peeps. it's been a long day here at the office.

2 comments:

Bloop Bleep said...

I've totally seen books with all the common interview questions and the "right" answers to give, I wish I had one at hand to consult... not that I plan on having any job interviews for a while. Work is for suckaz.

I'm glad H. (wait, what happened to yr anonymity rule?) isn't actually the insane workaholic he presents himself as ;)

I think my experiences are pretty similar... Micromanagement sucks, but to get stuff done, I do need someone looking over my shoulder, just closely enough to see that I'm commenting on a blog instead of working. But a lot of offices are EXTREMELY distracting. Y. and I were just talking about how LCW is the worst, sounds like yours is just as bad though.

anne said...

I was talking about CFWC - I can't even imagine LCW being that crazy, but I guess anything is possible...

If you do ever want to get a "job," Amanda is always more than willing to give good advice. However, nobody's allowed to bother her until she's done transcribing.