"It is better to remain quiet and to forget. That is the only thing we must do. We must forget. And that won't happen if we continue opening up lawsuits, sending people to jail. FOR-GET: That's the word. And for that to happen, both sides must forget and continue with their work."
~Pinochet
So Pinochet is dead at the ripe old age of 91. He will have never known suffering like that he inflicted on others. He was never punished for the crimes he committed, he may never be held responsible.
En la Villa Grimaldi cayó un septiembre amargo
Un grupo de hombres lobos sentó allí sus reales
Se les unió la muerte con su fría guadaña
Y el horror con su corte de atroces materiales
En la Villa Grimaldi se callaron los pájaros
El silencio del bosque se hizo duro y tullido
En su lugar crecieron sórdidos estertores
Agónicas plegarias e inhumanos aullidos
I'm working on scanning my pictures from Chile, so you'll be able to see what Villa Grimaldi looks like. It was a concentration camp that was active in the late 1970s and early 1980s in he hills on the outskirts of Santiago. While I was there I visited Villa Grimaldi twice, with a man who had been interned and tortured there. More about that later, I'm tired now.
No comments:
Post a Comment