Tuesday, September 16, 2008

fyi

I am alive. Mostly.

I am now a teacher, a shaper of young minds and whatnot. I have never worked this hard in my life.

I want to keep up with blogging because a lot of fascinating things happen to me on a day to day basis, but I barely have time to brush my teeth anymore. When I'm not teaching, I'm thinking about teaching or planning what I'll teach the next day, or the next class, or the next minute. And when I'm not doing that I'm going to department meetings or meeting with my kids' SPED liaisons to figure out how I can simultaneously teach 15 different classes. And when I'm not doing that I'm trying to find things to wear to school that are appropriate yet not so lame that the kids will make fun of me. And when I'm not doing that I'm spending trillions of dollars on school supplies. And when I'm not doing that I'm spending trillions of dollars on my car. And when all that is done, I'm left with about 4 hours every day, during which I sleep like I have never slept before.

But here are a few choice tidbits to tide you over until I can sit down and write for a while:

Me: Please take out your books and turn to page 10.
Student: Yo miss, why do we have to do this?
Me: Because that's where the lesson is.
Student: Fuck this, yo.

Me: Please take out your books and turn to page 10.
Student: Yo miss, it's hot in here. Can I take my shirt off?

Me: Please take out your books and turn to page 10.
Student: I don't have my book.
Me: Where is it?
Student: Why are you always up in my FACE, yo?

Me: Please take out your books and turn to page 10.
Student: Yo miss, didn't you wear that shirt last week?

4 comments:

rooroo said...

hey, kid's got a point there.

MRhé said...

The children are our future!

Was that a series of different conversations or was it from the same day and/or same kid?

I think blogging about your school hijinks would be very interesting and entertaining. I understand that you're busy as whoa, though.

Always nice to see you pop up on my reader! All too rare these days.

Bloop Bleep said...

Wow, just when I thought teaching college students is as ridiculous as it gets... this cracks me up.

KERaven said...

I guess I'm a bit out of the loop.....I competely missed this whole teaching thing. Hope things settle down!