Monday, June 29, 2009

open letter to roo roo

Amanda's recent post about not being able to write immediately made me think of this meme that I found a long time ago. In May 2008 I started writing this post about not being able to write, and intended to answer all the questions in the meme to get my creative writing juices flowing. And then I never did. Aaaanyways, now I'm posting it without my answers to my good buddy Roo Roo. May my failure as a writer inspire the crap out of you, or somebody. Or nobody. As we say in France, disfruta:

In the interest of "writing" I have spent the past hour at work not working, but rather wandering the internet looking for writing tips. I came across some interesting writing exercises that are supposed to cure writer's block. I guess the idea is similar to warm-up exercises in sports or drawing or music - like playing the scales or stretching the muscles. Some people say the hardest part of writing is coming up with a topic (which is what these exercises address).

I believe the hardest part is starting to write. I guess the exercises also help the writer start to write, because writing about some random topic that doesn't really matter to you is way easier than writing about something you find important. I always feel like the reason I can't write is the fear that I might mess it up. It's easy enough to go back and edit something you've already started, but the thought of starting is sometimes too...weighty, or something.

Anyhow, here's the single solitary writing exercise I found that isn't meant for writers of fiction:

1. Do you outline?

2. Do you write straight through a book, or do you sometimes tackle the chapters out of order?

3. Do you know how a book is going to end when you start it?

4. Where do you write?

5. What do you do when you get writer's block?

6. What size increments do you write in (either in terms of wordcount, or as a percentage of the book as a whole)?

7. How many different drafts did you write for your last project?

8. Do you let anyone read your book while you're working on it, or do you wait until you've completed a draft before letting someone else see it?

9. What do you do to celebrate when you finish a draft?

10. One project at a time, or multiple projects at once?

11. Do your books grow or shrink in revision?

12. Do you have any writing or critique partners?

13. Do you prefer drafting or revising?

14. What are your favorite writing books?

15. Morning writer, evening writer, or doesn't matter?

16. How do you handle reviews?

17. How do you handle rejection?

18. Do you prefer to work on writing by yourself? Or do you prefer collaborating?

19. Able to work on airplanes?

20. Have you ever abandoned a book or an article that you had finished? When? Why?

21. What writing advice do you really believe in?

1 comment:

MRhé said...

I'm going to be a jackass here and suggest that this isn't really an open letter. It's a response to Amanda's post (and a good one), but...no salutation, no signoff; it's not even addressed to her!

[/jackassery]