Saturday, January 12, 2008

i'm not an engineer

but I do spend 20 hours a week having my intelligence insulted by engineers, so when I found Cooking for Engineers, I was expecting a useless collection of gross recipes written in a condescending, unintelligible manner. I should rephrase that - I was hoping it would be like that, so I'd have an excuse to call engineers useless, gross, condescending, and unintelligible.

Oh look, I just did it anyways!

But I digress. Cooking for Engineers is actually a super awesome and incredibly super website. Some of the recipes are weird chemical experiments, mock apple pie and the like. But most of the recipes are good, plus there are lots of pictures, plenty of step by step information for the more difficult stuff, and interesting explanations of the science behind cooking and baking phenomena. Check it out next time you're at work - especially if you work with engineers, who may walk by, spot a chart like this, and think you're actually working:

:
MaterialThermal diffusivity
Copper120 * 10-6 m2/s
Aluminum100 * 10-6 m2/s
Cast Iron22 * 10-6 m2/s
Carbon Steel14 * 10-6 m2/s
Stainless Steel4.3 * 10-6 m2/s

who knew?

1 comment:

MRhé said...

While you were dabbling in the kitchen with your thermal diffusivity, A-Side was keepin' it real at the Hizzarp on Saturday night. Too bad tickets for the Lame Train don't work on the Hangout Express!