Sunday, March 25, 2007

ode to roo roo, transcription goddess

roo roo is, among many other awesome things, a transcribing machine. This girl is a trooper, a saint, and a research assistant all in one. Jack Dougherty was a fool to let her go - if I were him I would have messed with her transcript so she couldn't graduate, that way she'd be stuck at Trinity for a few more years of dedicated service.

Not many people can say they have a friend who'd be willing to give up a perfectly good Friday and Saturday afternoon to do them a favor - especially when the favor involves being glued to a computer transcribing a seemingly endless series of "ums," "likes," and "you knows" interspersed with the occasional money quote about green cleaning. Her transcribing enabled me to feel like I was "working on my thesis," while in reality I was messing around with my vacuum cleaner, blowing up a balance ball, chatting on the phone with my mom, and generally puttering around the house.

Yeah, and then at the end of it all, I sent Amanda home with a transcribing machine and another tape, just in case she feels the urge to spend any more of her free time facilitating my thesis. How can I resist? Her spelling and grammar are impeccable, she knows how to type with all her fingers. Really, it would be futile for me to transcribe the interviews myself when she's clearly so much better at it. This is what Kant was talking about, right?

3 comments:

MRhé said...

I hope you sent her home with some beef stew as payment.

rooroo said...

strangely, she forgot the stew but remembered the transcribing machine. mm-hmm

anne said...

I did forget the beef stew, but it was accidental, trust me, nothing would have made me happier than getting rid of a quart or two. In addition to the transcriber and tapes, parting gifts included a variety of delightful frocks and tank tops, plus a deflated balance ball, thank you very much. I also bought her dinner and drove to Alewife and back in the middle of a snowstorm in order to support her in her time of need. I tried repeatedly to buy her shots, but she refused, having had one or five too many drinks the night before. So there. See? transcribing for Anne PAYS. handsomely. I suggest you all try it - my door is always open, and the foot pedal is always ready to go.