Saturday, February 10, 2007

tha wood

Last night after the scintillating (really) Grad Student Association meeting, I went down to Norwood to get all up in some greek food with Roo Roo and Laurie. We went to a place called X&O in Stoughton, and it was delicious. I could detect the Greek ownership the second we walked in the door: big black menus, lots of overwhelming "art", corner table (in an otherwise empty room) full of 30-something guys dressed in black, drinking and talking on cell phones. It made me a little wistful for the days of yore when that might have been my table. It would have half-sucked because those guys, at least three of whom would be named Benny, would get everything comped and run me around like they were the only people on the planet... But it's always a pleasure to wait on people who know how to eat, know how to drink, and know how to walk that fine line between familiarity and sexual harassment.

As always, I have digressed. The food was super-delicious, the waitress was obviously brain-dead but had a cute headband and got Amanda to order a Viagra Martini ("You had the Viagra, right?"), which was also super-delicious. I got a cucumber martini with Hendrick's and frankly, it scared the shit out of me. I'm not usually one to fear alcohol, especially gin, with which I've developed quite a rapport since college. This martini was nuts - not even Amanda, after two other martinis, could get it down. Laurie suggested I give up trying to drink it and just wash my face with it. It stayed, we left. I pity the unsuspecting busboy who went to clear the table and drank it in one gulp, thinking he'd stumbled upon a treasure trove of almost-untouched "shift drink" deliciousness.

At the bar, Amanda and Laurie taught me some life lessons I'll not soon forget. I was lucky to have been in the company of two such wise women of the world, whose sage advice I'll be trying out sometime soon, once I grow a pair of [metaphorical] balls. I'm 25, but a lot of times I think that movie "13 Going on 30" (not that I've like, seen that movie or anything) could be based on my life.

2 comments:

rooroo said...

why would you put this all the way down here? i only found it because of bloglines.

anne said...

that's when I wrote it. the ol' chronological order, if you will. what's bloglines?