Monday, February 26, 2007

opium of the people

it's 4am, and I'm eating lofthouse cookies, listening to "bluegrass mandolin extravaganza," smoking cigarettes, and reading Bertrand Russell. if grad school is wrong, I don't wanna be right. try this on for size:

"We are sometimes told that only fanaticism can make a social group effective. I think this it totally contrary to the lessons of history. But, in any case, only those who slavishly worship success can think that effectiveness is admirable without regard to what is effected. For my part, I think it better to do a little good than to do much harm. The world that I should wish to see would be freed from the virulence of group hostilities and capable of realizing that happiness for all is to be derived rather from co-operation than from strife. I should wish to see a world in which education aimed at mental freedom rather than at imprisoning the minds of the young in a rigid armor of dogma calculated to protect them through life against the shafts of impartial evidence. The world needs open hearts and open minds, and it is not through rigid systems, whether old or new, that these can be derived."

yes.

4 comments:

rooroo said...

isn't religion the opiATE of the people? i am too drunk to re-read your entry and find out if there is a reason for your misquotation. ROAD TRIP motherfucker.

anne said...

i took it to the internet:

"Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."

anne said...

ps - wikipedia is always right:

"Religion is the opium of the people" (translated from the German "Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes") is one of the most frequently quoted (and sometimes misquoted as "opiate of the people") statements of Karl Marx, from the introduction of his 1843 work Contribution to Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right..."

rooroo said...

i stand corrected! i think opiate sounds better, though. ;)