"That was horrible. If you want to end war and stuff you got
to sing loud. I've been singing this song now for twenty five
minutes. I could sing it for another twenty five minutes. I'm
not proud... or tired.
So we'll wait till it comes around again, and this time with
four part harmony and feeling.
We're just waitin' for it to come around is what we're doing.
All right now.
You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant
(Excepting Alice)
You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant
Walk right in it's around the back
Just a half a mile from the railroad track
You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant"
I have no idea why, but hearing this song on Thanksgiving
always makes me cry like a freakin' baby. Seriously, I don't
know what comes over me. I wish I had the kind of family that
sat down and listened to it all together, because there are
families that do that. My family, on the other hand, went to
a restaurant for Thanksgiving, which I consider to be the
gravest possible Thanksgiving sin. So I was forced to hear my
Alice's Restaurant in the car on the way to the restaurant.
Then I got lucky and heard it twice on the way home. Then
I got home and made the mistake of turning on NPR, and now
I'm seriously depressed.
I was all aggravated that I had to go to Worcester to spend
Thanksgiving with my family. This is the first year since
college that I have been home for Thanksgiving, and I would
have much preferred to spend the holiday working at the
restaurant as I've done in past years. I would bust my ass
all day from 11am to 11pm or later, never stopping for more
than thirty seconds to stuff a roll in my mouth, gulp down
some gingerale and bitters (Thanksgiving Eve what what) or
smoke half a cigarette in a single drag.
At the end of the marathon we were all sweaty, filthy, and
so beyond tired that our arms and legs felt more tingly than
achy when they finally stopped moving. We had mint jelly in
our hair, gravy in our shoes, and pecan pie encrusted our
shirt cuffs. But at the end of it all, after we all served
our last seated parties, the chefs started to dole out the
little styrofoam boxes - turkey, ham, or lamb with creamed
peas and onions, mashed potatoes, squash, and all the rest.
They always ran out of ham before the restaurant closed, but
the chefs always managed to pull one out of some mystery
location for me.
We were like people who had been stranded in the desert
getting our first taste of water in a year. We all ate
standing up in the kitchen, styrofoam boxes spread out on
every available surface, bread board, salad bar, ice chest,
cardboard box. We barely talked, but looked at each other
as if sharing the happiest secret - it was almost over.
Even though we inhaled our food in a matter of minutes,
having to go back to check on tables or give checks or
whatever, that was the closest thing to a family Thanksgiving
I ever felt.
Earlier in the day we had fought with each other tooth and
nail for forks, and screamed that someone had taken the
wrong drinks or bumped into someone. Some of us cracked
under all the pressure, some of us broke down because of evil
customers, some of us cried because we got boiling water
dumped on us. In fact, one waiter organized a trifecta bet
every holiday, in which people picked the three waitstaff
most likely to break down first. At the end of it all,
though, we were all on the same team and knew that none of
us would make it through the day without everyone else.
I missed those little styrofoam box Thanksgiving dinners
this year, and the people I used to stand around eating
them with.
Thursday, November 23, 2006
Thanksgiving
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
aw, annie. remember when arlo came to trin? that was fun. :)
i'm sorry you had to eat at a restaurant for tgiving... didn't it make you feel any better that the waitstaff had those styrofoam boxes waiting for them in the kitchen? xox
Post a Comment